Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

68.365

March 9, 2011
This blog might end up being a cookbook!  Today is Ash Wednesday and it is 40 days until Easter; this time period being called "Lent" (celebrated by the Catholic faith).  Traditionally, people give up something for the 40 days starting on Ash Wednesday.  Now, I'm not Catholic nor have I researched Lent, however, being inspired by a Catholic former co-worker some 6 years ago (Hi Linda!) I have experimented with giving up something for the Lenten season.  The intention for me being, I find that denying myself of a comfort "fix," I will turn to God instead and get to know him better.  Self-discipline is an area of continual struggle in my life!  This year, I'm giving up meat and will thus come up with many more new recipes!  Second day this week my photo is food:

Rebecca's Spring Rolls:
Steam chopped fresh beets, carrots, and garlic cloves.  In a pan, saute chopped fresh mushrooms, all of a fresh green onion, and some chopped fresh cilantro in butter with some soy sauce and a dash of ground ginger.  Soak rice paper for a minute or so, then place a handful of fresh spinach leaves on soft paper; top with beets, carrots, garlic and mushroom saute; wrap. Either eat hot (on the left) by frying in a little bit of grape seed oil for a few minutes, or cold (on the right).  YUM.
(p.s. Don't let the water boil down to burn the pan when you're steaming the veggies, and maybe turn on the fan above the stove if you decide to burn the pan anyway.)

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious. This year I said I'd give up vegetables (as a joke of course) but I love them so much! Anywho... great pictures!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete